With the economy in a slump, and jobs that are emotionally fulfilling becoming more scarce as profit margins trump well-rounded careers, many people are seeking out skill sets that are both personally and professionally rewarding.
One way to do so is by offering a service to clients that is central to their basic needs while fulfilling one's own. Dentists and tech wizards will always be in need (and well-compensated) because the daily lives of their patients and clients depend on their advanced skills and training, for example. Here are just a few jobs that are not just worth your time but will allow you to give back to your community.
1. Computer ProgrammerAs more and more companies require technological innovation to run smoothly, they also need enterprising individuals who know how to best navigate new technology. With experience in computer programming, the ability to find work becomes easier: Not only is computer programming a rare skill, it is also absolutely essential to the running of top-tier businesses. In fact, mavericks like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg all built veritable empires out of their knowledge of and passion for computer programming.
2. DentistWith dental clinics usually offering good hours and insurance policies to their employees, and many trained dentists and specialists striking out on their own and opening up their own practices, the time has never been better to enter the job market with a degree in dentistry. Candidates looking to improve undergraduate performance or take science pre-requisites for dental school can use GPA-enhancing master's programs to better their applications, and it's never too late to start on one's first degree. The future is bright for this hard-working and reliable bunch, but standards are kept very high by certifying bodies, and a good attitude in practitioners is a must. But many professionals say they wouldn't trade the job for any other.
3. Dental HygienistWith an abundance of challenging educational programs available to use to enter the field, the career track to becoming a dental hygienist is a rewarding path to take. It is also one of the best ways to help others and earn a good living at the same time. As a career path, there is currently high demand for professionals who can meet the requirements of the job and be there for patients when they need others most.
4. Air Conditioning and Heating ServicesJust as the seasons will always change, homes will always require temperature control and the upkeep, installation, or repair of air conditioning and heating systems. Companies such as Covenant Air Conditioning & Heating provide clients with top-tier HVAC care in Austin by insuring that their basic needs are met, for example. In the extreme temperatures of winter and summer, these can be life-saving technologies.
5. PharmacistWithin the professional world, few careers are as respected as pharmacy. The field offers good hours, good pay, and a job that helps people to get better. Many who opted to begin practicing the art of pharmacy say it was the best decision they've ever made.
Photo credit: Stuart Miles